If you ask someone, “Do you follow Jesus”; you will, probably, get some of the same replies that I often hear: “I go to church”, “I’m a good person”, “I am Catholic”, “I don’t go to church as often as I should”, “I consider myself a Christian”, “My faith is private”, “I give to charities”, “What do you mean, “follow Him”, “in what way”, “I went to Sunday school”, “I was baptized”, “I’m faithful to my spouse and don’t run around”, “I have my own religion”, “My grandfather used to ring the church bells”, “my parents were religious”, “No, I don’t”.
Not one reply above answers the original question. Nor does any single reply, or all of the replies put together, constitute a follower of our Lord, Jesus Christ. In order to be considered a ‘true’ follower of Jesus, our Messiah, the Bible is clear on what events need to take place:
- In John 3:3 (NASB) Jesus told Nicodemus, “Truly, Truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” In order to be, Spiritually, born again, it is necessary to, prayerfully, open your heart to Jesus, confess to Him that you are a born sinner, repent of (turn away from) all your sins, and ask Him to start guiding your life through His Holy Spirit; who will come to dwell inside your heart and mind.
- Open your Bible and start to read the Word of God. Our Creator reveals Who He is, His purposes and plans for our lives, His plan of redemption and the free gift of eternal life, His laws for our guidance and obedience, and some of His future plans for us. He breathed all His revelations through forty different authors who penned His words in human form for us to understand.
- Obey Him by applying His Word to your life. (In the words of Dr. Charles Stanley’s grandfather: (“Obey the Lord and leave all the consequences to Him.”)
- In Luke 10:25-28 (NASB) a lawyer stood up and put Jesus to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said to him, “What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?” The lawyer answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” And Jesus said to him, “You have answered correctly; do this and you will live.”
- Develop and grow a LOVING, personal, and intimate Spiritual relationship with Jesus the Christ, Lord, Savior, High Priest, and King.
The admitted emptiness that we all feel inside our hearts before we are ‘born again’ cannot be filled with drugs, alcohol, illicit sex or anything else this satanic world has to offer. By accepting and allowing Jesus to come into your life, you will receive the following blessing that is penned by the great Apostle Paul: … do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication (petition) with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 (ESV)
If you haven’t done so, already, become a ‘true follower’ of Jesus and a ‘true Christian’. Begin to live your life for the Lord. Jesus redeemed His children. He purchased us on the cross at Calvary. He owns us!! We should be living for Him; not for ourselves. Jesus Christ, the Second Person in the Holy Trinity of God, is the, One and Only, way to eternal life.
Blessings in His unlimited grace,
Debby Mac Manes, a disciple of Jesus Christ <><